Elder Colton West

Elder Colton West

Translate

Monday, March 2, 2015

Week 18: Ka-BOOM!

Hola!

Election season has finally come to an end here in El Salvador.  For the last three months, everyone has been yelled at by political advertisements played from very loud speakers on trucks that drive through the streets.  We've had to take the long way to get places several times because the politicos have little support rallies out in the colonias (neighborhoods), and people block the streets.  Plus we're supposed to avoid those.  In short, politics here is just as annoying as politics back home.

Elections were yesterday.  It made things a bit difficult for us, because almost everyone was voting, working the polls, or just plain not home.  But it's all finally over.  The downside is that when the results come in, the winning side blows up half of town.  Or at least that's what it sounds like.  We were sleeping peacefully until around 3:30 this morning, when the biggest fireworks I have ever heard started going off.  The ones on New Year's were nothing compared to these.  Fortunately for us, this particular bout of pyrotechnically-induced insomnia only lasted for about 20 minutes, rather than the hour+ that we dealt with on New Year's Eve and Christmas.

We went on divisions with the other elders a couple of times this week.  Elder Hood thought that it would be really good for my training to have to lead the area for a couple of days while he was with the other elders.  It went well, and I feel like I learned a lot.

No pictures this week, because I forgot to take my camera with me.

Love you all!

Elder Colton West
El Salvador, San Salvador East Mission

Editor's Note: Elder Hood has been with Colton since he got in the field in early Dec. They have become very good friends and are a great companionship.  As Elder Hood has been in Ilobasco for 6 months or more I believe, and they have been companions for 3, it is very likely they will be split up and also likely Elder Hood will be leaving Ilobasco. We are so VERY grateful for the good companion and trainer he has been to our son. We know they will be lifelong friends. Elder Hood is already planning to come to Colton's homecoming in Nov 2016! I'm sure they will be at each other's wedding some day. We are so grateful to his parents, Dave & Kerri, for raising such a great son. 

Some cute things I thought I'd share from my personal letter from him since this week's letter was a little shorter than usual:

"Next package you send, can you put in a way bigger bag of peach rings? (one of his fave candies).  Some of the elders who have been out for a long time will pay good money for American candy like that, because it is impossible to get them here.  That, or I can get on a lot of people's good sides by giving them some!"

"I need to admit that I've been a missionary for more than just the gospel down here.  I've converted Elder Hood to sriracha.  He asks if you can send him a bottle."

The picture today is from Mariela who Colton baptized on Feb 14th.  She facebook friend requested me yesterday and this pic was on  her profile! What a nice surprise especially since we didn't get pictures today!

At Mariela's baptism Feb 14th
Elder West, top right with glasses;
his companion, Elder Hood, next to him
Elder Hood's mom shared this picture with me from his letter this week.
These are the elders of their Ilobasco district. Elder Hood is the district leader.



No comments:

Post a Comment