Elder Colton West

Elder Colton West

Translate

Monday, June 1, 2015

Week 31: Whitewashed

Another change, another area.  Yes, that's right everyone, I had changes!  I probably had the craziest change of area in the entire mission.  I got sent from Valle Nuevo 2 to Valle Nuevo 1.  So close, that I didn't even get to go to change meeting, the zone leaders told me to just carry my suitcases to the new house.  So I did.  My new companion was supposed to be Elder Recinos, who has been in the area of Valle Nuevo 1 for the last 4 and a half months.

Half an hour after change meeting ended we got a call from Elder Yaxón, my last companion who is now district leader.  He told us that Elder Recinos had emergency changes, and needed to pack his bags, because the assistants would be coming by to pick him up sometime in the afternoon.  We've spent the last 6 weeks in Valle Nuevo joking around with each other about anything and everything, so Elder Recinos and I thought it was a joke and went to lunch.  While we were there the zone leaders called and repeated the same message that Elder Yaxón had given us, but with the addition that the assistants would be at the house in 20 minutes to pick up Elder Recinos.  Thankfully we were just about done eating, so we ran back to the house and Elder Recinos packed like a madman to be ready in time.  Then the assistants showed up with the rest of my district, including my new companion, Elder Merino.

When the Lord sends two new elders to an area it's called reopening an area, but the gringos call it whitewashing.  I think our term for it is better, but people look at you funny when you say 'estamos lavando la área.'

The thing with whitewashing an area is that it doesn't happen all that often.  I'm not exactly sure why the Lord did it here, but I know there's a reason.  We've been working like crazy this week.  One really cool thing that happened a few days ago is that we prayed specifically to find a family of new investigators and one other new investigator.  After a couple hours of work, we found them.  A family (the parents of a recent convert) and another new investigator.

I'm all out of time for this week.  Keep on keeping on!

Oh, and the computer doesn't like my usb this week, so no pictures.  Sorry!

Elder Colton West

El Salvador, San Salvador East Mission

Editor's Note: the pics below are some I've been sent by Melissa Vasquez, the mission president's daughter. Grateful to have these to share on these rare occasions that our missionary is unable to send pictures!

"LIVE TRUE!"
This was the theme and symbol for the Gilbert AZ Temple
Cultural Celebration. Elder West sent this for his sister who was a
specialty dancer on stage in one of the songs performed. Over 13,000
youth in our temple district participated in this amazing event!

We sure love that smile!

Finding time for scriptures while at meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment