Elder Colton West

Elder Colton West

Translate

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Week 33: Consecrated, part 2

Hey everyone!

So, I said last week that I would talk about this whole consecrated missionary thing that we've started on here in the San Salvador East Mission.  Well, it goes a little something like this...

There are three types of missionaries in the world: Social Missionaries, Honorable Missionaries, and Consecrated Missionaries.  Social Missionaries were described by Brigham Young as those who "...go on a mission to preach the Gospel with lightness and frivolity in [their] heart, looking for this and that, and to learn what is in the world."  This kind of missionary "will go and return in vain," without gaining anything of eternal value from their mission.

Next we have the Honorable Missionaries.  Honorable Missionaries are good missionaries.  They are generally obedient.  They teach the Gospel with love, and they find some success as missionaries.  They return with honor.

Then we have the Consecrated Missionaries.  For these missionaries, every second that they have in the mission is a gift from the Lord.  They strive to use every minute available to do their job: preach the gospel.  Consecrated Missionaries are not just obedient: they are exactly obedient.  They don't just see miracles in their missions, by their faith and obedience they can make miracles.  They are truly aligned with the will of the Lord, and follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit.

President Vasquez challenged all of us to become Consecrated Missionaries.  It's not an easy task.  Many times as missionaries we do things that, while they may not be breaking rules, are not the most effective way to spend our time.  But we've been given some pointers to help us in that journey, both from President Vasquez and from other church leaders.  For example, Elder Alonso of the Quorum of the Seventy, challenged us to be like submarines: submerge ourselves in the work, come up to periscope depth for a little while on P-Day to see the world, then submerge ourselves once again when P-day is over.

When I first moved areas, I found some CDs in the house.  Turns out they're an audiobook of Elder James Talmage's "Jesus the Christ."  I thought that was really cool that someone else left them in the house.  After the interviews with President Vasquez, I got to thinking about ways to improve how I spend my time.  I thought of the audiobook CDs.  We have about an hour of prep time in the morning, in which we usually listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, or just enjoy the quiet.  The thought came to me that I could listen to those CDs in the morning.  So I started to do just that.  It's awesome, because that's another hour in the morning that I can study a very very very in depth analysis of the mortal ministry of Jesus Christ.

Well, I'm out of time for this week.  Coming up in next week's episode: my companion.  A month is more than enough time to make you all wait to hear about him.

Photo: Me with my companion, Elder Merino.


Love, Elder Colton West

El Salvador, San Salvador East Mission

Elder West & his companion, Elder Merino, in Ilopango

No comments:

Post a Comment